Pages

Monday, January 6, 2014

Quilling Pine Cones


My parents recently bought a retirement home, and my mom has decided to have a pine cone theme carry throughout the home. For Christmas, I decided to make her the above wall decoration related to that theme. I had already painted pictures for her last Christmas, so I was looking for another medium to use when I noticed an artist's booth at a local winter craft fair.

The artist specialized in a traditional Chinese papercut style, with layering to create beautiful 3D works. It got me thinking about quilling, a paper-curling technique I had stumbled upon over a year ago on Pinterest but never pursued. I figured now was the time.



Searches for how others quilled pine cones came up fruitless (or didn't really showcase the quilling feature), so I came up with this design using the basic quilling shapes.



I originally envisioned the pine cone scales being closer together, but when I put it on the paper surrounded by the beautiful frame my husband found, I liked the larger separation between scales better.


My mom loved the gift, and I was super excited with how it turned out. Not sure what I'll quill next, but I thoroughly enjoyed this technique and hope to employ it again sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment