Pages

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Sausage-infused Ratatouille

As I was strolling around our local Whole Foods looking for a healthy afternoon snack yesterday, I quickly gave some thought to dinner. So far on the menu we had Brussels sprouts and sausages, and I knew that was not going to cut it. I spotted an eggplant, knowing my husband likes them, and added it to the basket, figuring I could think of specifics later.

It wasn't until I spotted a yellow onion and Roma tomatoes sitting atop my fridge that inspiration struck, and I came up with this ratatouille inspired dish.


I chopped everything up into more or less bite-sized pieces (half-inch to one inch pieces).


As I sat there chopping, thinking about the order in which to cook everything, my eyes fell on this small container of basil-infused olive oil my brother-in-law had brought back from when he was in Italy. I decided it would be the perfect thing to use for this dish.


The onion went in first, cooking for about 5 minutes. Then I added the eggplant and sausage along with some thyme, oregano, and salt. I let that cook for another 10 minutes before I added the tomatoes near the end. The Brussels sprouts had been roasting in coconut oil in the oven (my favorite method), and when they were done, I tossed it all together.


It was a flavor-filled, healthy creation perfect for a grey, soggy night here in New England.

Ingredients:
1 eggplant
1 medium yellow onion
4 Roma tomatoes
4 sausages
2 bags Brussels sprouts
4 Tbsp basil-infused olive oil, separated (use ~2 tsp basil if using regular olive oil)
3 Tbsp coconut oil
~2 tsp thyme
~2 tsp oregano
salt, to taste

Directions:
1. Spread Brussels sprouts over parchment lined sheet tray. Melt coconut oil and pour over sprouts. Put into 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Turn sprouts around with spatula, then roast for another 20 minutes.
2. Chop up the eggplant, onion, tomatoes, and sausages into half-inch to inch thick pieces.
3. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes, turning frequently to prevent burning.
4. Add the eggplant, sausage, spices, and remaining olive oil to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until eggplant and sausages are warm, about 10 minutes.
5. Add in the tomatoes and cook until they are heated through.
6. Toss finished Brussels sprouts with the skillet mixture to complete the dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment