Pages

Friday, June 28, 2013

Wedding Gift: Family Established Sign

Guess what I made today?


Nope, not a wood-carved eye test. It's a wedding gift for a friend! For those who've followed me on my last blog, you may remember I made these "family established" signs for some of family one Christmas based upon one we got as a wedding gift.

A good friend is getting married soon, so I decided to make one for her as well, though I took a different take on it this time.

I bought a framed board from Michael's and Dremmeled the giant E and established date portion into the wood. The wood claimed it was good for carving, but I had some issues making good lines. My bit might also be near the end of its life, but it felt more so like the wood was just harder than I expected.


I printed out my letters, but forgot to print them backwards, so as to easily rub them onto the wood. So instead I used two methods to stencil the letters onto the board: 1) newspaper between the print out and wood and then tracing the letters, and 2) rubbing the back of the paper with pencil before tracing the letters directly onto the wood.


I used this latter method when I did their name, and rather than retrace the letters afterwards to make sure I got each letter completely, I decided to go straight for the paint. I like the imperfections to the letters that resulted, and I think it gives it more character than if a machine had just cut something out of vinyl for it.


The colors are neutral so that it could go in any room of their house. I also wanted it to be fairly manly (or at least not overly feminine) so that the groom would be happy to have it around, too. (Am I the only one who thinks such things when creating wedding gifts?)


It took me less than 3 hours total, including waiting for paint to dry and touch-ups, so it's a completely easy, yet personal craft one can do for a wedding or house-warming gift.


No comments:

Post a Comment